Coconuts – Fad or Here For Good?
For those of you “health nuts” that have your finger on the pulse with the latest trends in the health and fitness industry, you would know the new fad is coconut water. ‘Brilliant’ most of you are saying. ‘I bet it’s as good for me as the vitamin waters (which contain as much sugar as Coke) or the Ab Circle Pro (my girlfriend’s mum has one but I’m not quite comfortable enough yet to tell her it’s a silly investment, my best mate also has one…. I’m a little more honest with him)’.
I’ve got some good news for you! This is worth investing in and I’m pretty sure it’s the first time I’ve agreed with a health ‘fad’! I can tell you that this one will stay around! Although most ‘health fads’ are so far from healthy it is laughable, e.g vitamin water (apologies to those of you who thought it was healthy), coconut water/oil/meat has a stack of positives to enhance your health!
Here are the top 10 reasons you want to get involved in the latest health fad!
- On many small islands around the world, coconut water is the only drinking water available which for many tribes is seen as the ‘fluid for life’. It contains natural sugars and also a complex array of vitamins and minerals which makes it a much healthier and more nutritious option than previous ‘health drinks’. It is high in potassium, chlorides, calcium and magnesium. It is largely fat free. The electrolyte profile of coconut water is somewhat similar to that of the human plasma so it is the perfect drink to prevent dehydration making it the perfect sports drink.
- It is perfect for potassium deficiency. If you are getting your coconut juice straight from the coconut, the green (immature) coconuts are seen as the best for taste and quality.
- Research has shown that it has a positive effect on cholesterol. In one case study your good cholesterol increased by 46.2%!
- It is known to clear bladder infection, remove kidney stones and improve sexual vitality! Don’t we all want a bit of that!
- In the Philippines they use it for urinary tract infections and have a saying for coconuts: A coconut a day keeps the urologist away…
- Coconut oil also contains medium chain fatty acids which help fight bacterial infections such as UTI’s, ear infections, genital infections, gonorrhoea, food poisoning, throat and sinus infections killing intestinal worms.
- Coconut oil has been known to help with increasing your energy and metabolism and weight management.
- It is also known to work against fungal infections such as Candida, thrush, jock itch, ringworm, athlete’s foot and viral infections such as chronic fatigue.
- Coconut oil has also been known to help with skin conditions such as dermatitis and acne.
- Coconut water is also a good form of laxative for those who experience constipation. You will need larger amounts of the water for this to take effect.
If you want to be even healthier buy fresh coconuts, slice them open and drink the coconut water from inside!
This post is also available in: Russian